Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
87 dodge b250
In this trip, or lifetime?

It's now around 44K total, but it's a 5-digit odo, so could be a lot more.

This trip, it's whatever the distance is from Springfield OR to Kimball SD, plus a fudge factor for my terrible routes (go ahead Gary, tell 'em about the Hellish route I took to yer place!).

I'm wondering more about this sudden oil consumption.
I hadn't checked it since my Panic Attack a few days ago, when I topped it up.
Should have checked at the next fuel fill ups.

Right now, I'm at the repair shop office, using their wifi for a bit. Still haven't heard back from the RV park to get the wifi password. Sad
Otherwise, things are ok.
Just brought up a map of the town, and found they have a little food mart. Will inventory my food supplies tonight, but it's nice to have options. Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
(11-29-2018, 03:40 PM)Motrukdriver Wrote: There's always cardboard cutouts you can make and put in the passenger seat.

Saw a car with a kewl happy dog window image.
Didn't have time to take a pic, but did express my joy to the lady driver, who was delighted. Smile
GypsyDogs:  there's a market for you to investigate! Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • GypsyDogs (12-06-2018)
the oil consumption could be another sign of head gasket,its going somewhere

if it's 44k great
144k should be savable
244k dead engine

cracks and warped head usually take a good overheating to do
wont know until they popped the heads off
have you talked to them about prices?
That motor is not really expensive to repair. 

Lots of parts for sale, and not that expensive.  Rock Auto has a great online parts store.  

What did the pressure test show
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
They said somewhere up to 3K$ (I was in such shock that I forget the low range, maybe somewhere in the 2K$s).

As far as I know, they didn't do another pressure test, after the original, since it was clear (even to me) that it was something more serious.

Define "not that expensive"? Smile

So whatever happened, was bound to happen eventually?
I'm basically wondering if I did something profoundly stupid.
I should have checked the oil at each of the next gas fill ups. I used to do that regularly when I got my first car, but got out of the habit fairly soon, since it was never an issue. Should have paid closer attention with this older vehicle.

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
The 318 is a workhorse.  You take care of it and it will keep going.  Let something go wrong and it will pop a gasket.  

With mine I let the coolest get low, and white smoke...   I was lucky as I could fix it.  That is why I asked about pressures.  The numbers tell a story to people familiar with the motor.  

Answer that inquiry and you will know what to do next.  

You can get a complete crate motor for $1600 minus about 285 for core.  The $3000 was including labor for a basically new engine  another $1000 will get all new carb and assorted pieces.  

Things happen to 30 year old vans.  It could have been a transmission.  Rear end or brake system.  That is the risk of the ownership of any vehicle.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
Might try a salvage yard if you want to save some money. Shouldn't be too hard to find a 318 or even a 360. They didn't change much over the years.
Or if you're really lucky , a 340 !!!
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
Or if you're really lucky , a 340 !!!

There is a heavy duty version of the dodge engines labeled 318-3 etc
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
Another thing you might want to consider. You might be able to scrap it and buy another van for much less than a new engine.

I believe at the price to fix it you might consider it totaled.

Check bluebook price and go from there.

John sold his 91 with solar for $1000.
monkeyfoot