Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
route advice please: Oregon to northern WI
As I mentioned in the mechanical woes thread, I've concluded there's no way I can safely get to South Dakota by end of business tomorrow, so will be postponing the Van Registration & Titling until Monday.

Soooo, any suggestions on pleasant places to stop on I-90 from WA to SD?
Looks like a cold snap & snow is coming thru this weekend, so any tips on pacing?

Thanks in advance! Smile
adopted a Geeky blue van, tentative progress on a GoodJob, still lots of Newbie Qs;
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly
I moved the van, but still have honking good wifi at this Walmart (Walla Walla WA), so decided to stay the night.  It was posted against, so asked the very helpful staff, and they gave me a bright green permission page to put in my dash. Weird, but in a good way. Smile

I'll post a pic once I get back to the land of AC outlets. Wink
(i.e. very old camera which only works with my old XP laptop... and requires several incantations)
adopted a Geeky blue van, tentative progress on a GoodJob, still lots of Newbie Qs;
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly
I'm in Billings MT.
GoogleMaps offers two routes to Rapid City: one all I-90, and a shorter route (by 56 miles) that's mostly US-212.
It appears that US-212 is two-lanes both directions.

Is anyone familiar with that route?

I would like to avoid all of: narrow, winding, traffic. Smile
Woke up to snow falling! Sad

Here's a great Use Case for the NOAA weather radio!  I dug mine out, and it immediately gave relevant info for the area, including a weather warning and that the worst should clear in an hour.
I waited. Smile

Am back on the road, and stopped to adjust my side mirror (both had suddenly shifted, the previous day, perhaps by a non-helpful passerby?). Saw a sign to the local county Library, which is awesome. Smile
They printed an SD form I had spaced on and failed to ask GypsyDogs to print for me.
Sooooo, am all ready for the big SD DMV nightmare.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • GotSmart (12-03-2018)
Smooth sailing and following seas!
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-03-2018)
We drove 212 a couple of times at Christmas over fifty years ago. Who knows what shape the highways is now.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Wayne49 for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-04-2018)
Next leg is easy sailing until Minneapolis.

What's a good way to get around it?
I'll be stopping in River Falls WI.
Dunno if there is an easy way around it. I been in the Twin Cities more times than I can count and the best I could do is try and time it so I don't hit rush hour traffic in either the morning or evening. Weekends are your friend. I was based out of Eagan and Coon Rapids for a while and used to get over to Menomonie quite a bit. Sooo, I-94 to I-694 around the top side back to I-94 and then smooth sailing after the Wisconsin border. There is a TA truck stop and a Cabelas in Rogers MN if you need a place to stop for a while before you brave the Twin Cities. Cabelas would probably be far more quiet and they have overnight camper parking I believe if that need arises.
MORATTA LESSRATTA  OFFICIAL YARC

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-04-2018), Scott7022 (12-05-2018)
Mo, thanks for the Cabelas tip! Did not know about them.

Got delayed, so looks like it will be evening before I get there, so I'll probably camp out somewhere nearish, then wait until after the evening rush.

Should be back in the land o' Cheese tonight! Big Grin