Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VENTED Propane heaters for small areas
Does anyone know enough about small VENTED propane heaters, suitable for a van or other small space?

I've been reading about the Olympic Wave 3 (unvented) and others similar to it, but they all produce moisture and a small amount of carbon monoxide (if working properly), etc.  This doesn't cause panic in me, but if a choice was involved, I could do without the moisture.  I don't expect to spend much time in cold areas, but sometimes you get caught by unexpected weather changes, very possible due to my inability to be all-seeing, all-knowning and other general imperfections (lots!).

Do you have any suggestions for certain heaters of this type, specific or general?  How difficult would it be to vent them in a metal box?  A couple of years ago, somewhere, I saw a 4" diameter hole cut into the floor of a van, fitted with a marine deck plate, which looked interesting and maybe even useful.  It could be capped against moisture while driving, and possibly screened against insects... theoretically.

Any opinions?
(10-10-2018, 03:24 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: Does anyone know enough about small VENTED propane heaters, suitable for a van or other small space?

I've been reading about the Olympic Wave 3 (unvented) and others similar to it, but they all produce moisture and a small amount of carbon monoxide (if working properly), etc.  This doesn't cause panic in me, but if a choice was involved, I could do without the moisture.  I don't expect to spend much time in cold areas, but sometimes you get caught by unexpected weather changes, very possible due to my inability to be all-seeing, all-knowning and other general imperfections (lots!).

Do you have any suggestions for certain heaters of this type, specific or general?  How difficult would it be to vent them in a metal box?  A couple of years ago, somewhere, I saw a 4" diameter hole cut into the floor of a van, fitted with a marine deck plate, which looked interesting and maybe even useful.  It could be capped against moisture while driving, and possibly screened against insects... theoretically.

Any opinions?

I have the Dickenson 12000 they make a smaller one 9000 btu. It is a vented model with a window to watch the flame made of stainless steel and bit of brass colour very attractive unit. It has a 12 volt variable speed fan but you don’t have to use it if the heater is on low, it heats up almost instantly, very easy to light, and control. It mounts to bulkheads or walls and comes with protective stainless back plate to protect the wall. The glass gets warm but the stove itself stays cool enough to touch on most places, so good for small spaces, The chimney has a guard on it to protect from burning also all made of stainless. The chimney needs a small 4 inch hole (I think )through the roof not a big deal just a hole saw of the correct size, you just have to make sure you get it in the right spot. It sits up only about 3 inches above the roof with a rounded cap also all made of stainless steel so fairly stealth. It is a bit expensive to run if you are running 24/7, 4 lbs of propane lasts about 28 hours if I recall correctly I did figure it out once. The 9000 model would be cheaper to run and that is all you need in a van, the only reason I got the 12000 is because it was second hand bargain. Oh yeah that is the down size they are not cheap and they are not thermostatically controlled. I have another vented unit in my other van, it is a smaller unit vented to the side of the vehicle it is thernostatically controlled which is nice. However no flame the unit is under the rear seat and the warm air is ducted into the living area. I hope that helps you get some idea of what is available out there by the way the second unit is even more expensive then the Dickenson.
Thanks. I was just looking at vented heaters, and they're a lot higher priced than the non-vented ones, aren't they? **sigh**
(10-10-2018, 07:13 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: Thanks.  I was just looking at vented heaters, and they're a lot higher priced than the non-vented ones, aren't they?  **sigh**

They sure are if you don’t plan on being in cold areas a lot of people get by with those little buddies.
I know two people that run these and they love them.
http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html

Reduces moisture added inside the space too.
BW (yeah I know some folks here don’t like him) made a video a while back talking about the choices available for vandwellers on heating.  He has the Wave 3 but then again his monthly income level way exceeds most of ours (whole nother’ thread). 

He did say that even a single burner (open flame) stove or candles (watch out on their scent) can work for some.  

Yes the “buddies” produce a lot of moisture (all propane fueled does) and they all are not thermostatically controlled, but theres a lot of people who use them.

As far as venting, aside from cracking the windows a half inch with a cross draw, there is the possible use of the floor vent you mentioned, but that is a major modification and could potentially leak exhaust if not done right.

Bigger rigs (think class A, B and C) have vented furnaces however thats not a good choice for a standard van. A review of threads on heating from CRVL and/or some YT videos may ease your concerns a bit. There are winter dwellers who must have supplemental heat, you can find their ideas on YT or their own blogs.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
The cat heater looks good, but no prices are shown. I think that when a company feels they have to be coy about the prices, they're too expensive for me.
(10-11-2018, 12:28 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: The cat heater looks good, but no prices are shown.  I think that when a company feels they have to be coy about the prices, they're too expensive for me.

On an RV forum from 2013, a lady said she paid $475 for the smaller unit and the larger unit was $549
Another forum said he doesn't list his prices because as the price of platinum raises and lowers so do his heaters, (he should mention that on the website)

But the most recent listing on a forum I could find from 2016, several people said they think he is no longer in business.  I just emailed him out of curiosity.  Seems like a good price for a good unit,  nothing but excellent reviews on them and they barely use any propane.
On Youtube chanel Van City Van Life,  Chrome <<<<his legal name.  He's only been in his van for about a year and started with the bare 3/4 ton Ford cargo van.  He started with a bed on the floor and some minimum basic necessities.  When he bought a Mr Buddy he didn't like it.  Later he bought a Wave III or II? Anyway he likes it better.  I have noticed some people are mounting them close to their side doors or using them maybe sitting higher on something with the front windows cracked open.  

He has the coolest English Bulldog.  Disco is so homely he's cute and makes the funniest noises

JewellAnn
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME
Rolleyes  WHOOPSIE....... DID IT TWICE
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME