Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a recipe however...
In response to a question posed on a camping forum about using your car battery to brew coffee, i found this response. I’m not sure but it might even be “Sternwake approved” since it doesn’t depend on a ciggie plug:

‘I have a friend who has a Ford Escape hybrid that has a 120 volt outlet in the car. When our band has a carry-in, he plugs in a crock pot with his specialty, scalloped potatoes, and we make the 15 mile trip. However, I don’t think the crock pot draws as much power as a coffee maker.

However, engines do generate heat and much of it is wasted. Maybe you could adapt the cooling system of the car to make the coffee. There should be a way to add coffee to the water in the radiator and keep it hot while driving. For winter freeze protection, you could add enough whiskey and have Irish coffee.’

Pretty good idea, just get “food grade” radiator hoses. I’m sure they’re out there... Big Grin
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TWIH for this post:
  • MN C Van (09-22-2018)
You almost make it sound reasonable...
Yes, used to heat up coffee by placing the canteen cup near the turbine outlet on the Abrams.
The services use JP-8 fuel in everything, so it did have hints of Kerosene
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
Kerosene = vitamin K
I'm not lost. I'm exploring.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • MN C Van (09-23-2018)
TrainChaser
You almost make it sound reasonable...

Ha ha, that’s so true.  When I first read it I had to go back twice to make sure there wasn’t some hidden way to actually make/keep coffee hot by using the radiator.  It “got” me so I reposted.

Glad it brought a smile or at least a curious feeling... 
Smile
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."