Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track bar or Panhard bar
Having driven the RV across country and back (7,000+ miles), I have a fair amount of experience with being thrown around in the wind.   

Crossing Kansas was terrifying.   Between the wind and the 18wheelers, I was thrown all over the road.  Took to driving before dawn while the wind was less.

This must be solved.

The front axle has sway bars...but the dual axle in the back has nothing.   This is a Ford E350 Chasis. 
I have been learning about Panhard bars.   I wonder if anyone has experience with having these installed?   How pricey was it?  Did it work to stabilize the ride?   Is it worth it? 

1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
I don't know anything about them but I do know the issues of crosswinds and the like while driving a Ford van. I've owned several. Here is something else to research and compare to the panhard bar. Wish I could help. https://www.etrailer.com/Anti-Sway-Bars/...9-178.html
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
I found that cross winds and semis would push me around much more when my rear leafs were tired and saggy and I was carrying more weight.

After I installed airbag helper springs , plumbed separately, that was reduced by at least 50% when aired up to the right pressure for the load.

Rear antisway bars for my van are listed, but then say they do not work with the 35 gallon tank, and as far as i can tell there was no other tanks size offered.

Squishy tires/ underinflated tires can also contribute to the being pushed around feeling.

But it is a big brick/barn door with lots of surface area so cross winds and semis forces are always going to have a lot od surface area to push against.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • RoamingKat (09-22-2018)
I upgraded the front sway bar and steering stabilizer on my RV and it made a very noticeable improvement in high winds
and when trucks pass me. The next upgrade is going to be Bilstein shocks.
2001 Phoenix Cruiser 2300B.        
On A Ford E350 Chassis.

Full time since 10-12-18
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to shadow for this post:
  • RoamingKat (09-22-2018)
Update

Took the RV to the mechanic here in GJ that has always done great work for me.

He installed new shocks all around. Bilstein in the front...Koni in the rear
(This was done because I really wanted Koni..but they don’t make them for the front of my motor home....and Bilstein has a long wait list for rear parts)

Took the RV out on the road in a pretty good wind. WOW what a huge difference. Even 18wheelers blowing by me did not cause me to get blown around. Sure was a lot cheaper than custom build bars!!
1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
Amazing the difference a good set of shots can make, only thing that even comes close as new tires when the old ones are done