Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARB fridge freezer review
Blanch, if you need help with wiring at Q, I’ll be happy to help you out. Got all my electronics tools with me. I’ll get tx2s in on it and I bet we can talk for four or five hours figuring out how to do a 15 minute job. Good times ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • Blanch (09-22-2018)
(09-22-2018, 08:36 AM)Putts Wrote: ...I’ll get tx2s in on it and I bet we can talk for four or five hours figuring out how to do a 15 minute job. Good times ahead!

Thanks.
Made me laugh hard. In the desert there ain’t much more than talk most days.

(09-22-2018, 08:36 AM)Putts Wrote: Blanch, if you need help with wiring at Q, I’ll be happy to help you out. Got all my electronics tools with me. I’ll get tx2s in on it and I bet we can talk for four or five hours figuring out how to do a 15 minute job. Good times ahead!

I'll wear my green hardhat and my yellow 'supervisor' badge.

Occasionally I will hand you tools and sip my beer.

We'll be very productive as a team...you and me.

Cool
Wondering about Wandering.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • Blanch (09-22-2018)
If the original DC 16awg cord is not going to be cut, and no other cord purchased,

then there are two options.
A. One determines the polarity, and finds suitable connectors to fit onto/into/over the receptacles in the DC input to completely bypass 'portable' undergauge wire with shit cig connector.

B. One opens the access panel on the ARB, and removes the + and - wires which come from the ARB DC plug, which use the simple 1/4" quick connect fittings, and install the + and - directly from the new 10AWG..

Closing the access hatch with these new wires coming out might present issues.

Stress relief on the cord should be added so tripping on the cord does not rip them out of the compressor controller.

B. Would be ideal from a voltage drop standpoint, and likely reliability as it eliminates several possible failure points. Those into the DC plug, and those leaving it.

Regarding warranty, if it is required, then with B all one has to do is reopen access panel, remove 10AWG quick connect fittings and return original wiring to compressor controller.

I do not recall exactly what the DC input connector looks like on the ARB, but I think they are more rectangular and a Quick connect fitting might be able to be modified to fit correctly over the tangs., but a lot of care is required so that the + and - cannot touch each other or exert lateral force to the receptacle.

I'd go for B, since it is not as if the fridge is going to be carried around the campsite where the wire hanging off of it is going to be a huge Pain.
As a temporary way to use the fridge I bought the wiring kit from ARB. I had to use all 20 feet, hopefully she runs just fine this way.

The kit arrived today. I crawled under the RV and wired it all up, using some plastic clips to keep the wire in place. I drilled a hole in my RV and ran the wire in. I crimped and soldered the ends for the ARB and attached the leads to the battery and ground. 45 minutes of work, a few swear words, and I screwed up my back again, but it is all done.
[Image: 6c47366f901b2a43e667cfaea01df879.jpg]
[Image: 66ec88f360792f214a8bff423304ab3f.jpg]

It seems to be working well. My hope is that this fix keeps me from losing more food and medication. I’ll do a better job while in Q, this should work until then.

Good job.

Might want to insure the 'battery monitor' feature is set to low, as it is better to overdischarge your battery, than let the fridge warm up and spoil your medication.

If the plug fits into the new ARB receptacle nice and tightly, you might not have issues with either for quite a while.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • Blanch (09-26-2018)
Looks good I like the solder and crimp method. Yes, the wiggle factor comes into play but. Still the best. Good job, hot and cold packs every twenty minutes and a tall glass of lemonade for your back and the warm fuzzys for doing it right and yourself.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • Blanch (09-26-2018)