Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Simple Woodstove DFM
Didn't want to go for cute or pretty, eh?

As for wood sources, keep an eye out for home/building construction debris. They usually give it away. Maybe keep a handsaw on board.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • MN C Van (09-21-2018)
Sure, I have a hatchet, and could use a handsaw. Tons of wood in N Minnesota.
But that's an option I hadn't thought offor other areas, thanks!

It'll look fine with some stove black.

This isn't fun. There's a little less than 14 feet of straight welding even for this little stove.
Building hinges sucks. And I still don't have the latch nor the damper designed.
And it's really easy to just go get 90° 2 1/2" exhaust elbows, right?

Door is on!

Sometimes dweller in 236k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
If it were easy, you probably wouldn't be interested in doing it. You just want a challenge.

The advantage to 2x4s and 2x6s is that they're kiln-dried. MN has trees??? Who'd thunk it?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • MN C Van (09-22-2018)
Functional is always pretty.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • MN C Van (09-22-2018)
Thanks, hope it is functional!!!

Today got the air control 90% completed, and started on the latch.
It was the most expedient air control I could think of, and my least favorite design.

I'll need to order an elbow; the plan is to use straight pipe ~1 1/2' up, then a 90° straight over the front seat and through a bulkhead closed in front window.
Just thought I'd let you know, I might fire it up outside next week before it gets blacked, but there won't be a real, in vehicle test for a while.
But, It IS getting colder here, 40's in Mpls, high 30's just north of Mpls, and freezing up in Grand Marais.
Sometimes dweller in 236k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
Ordered a 90° 2.5" SS elbow and two couplers.
$48
Getting expensive, and so far I've not even considered the legs, or the chimney damper.
Make sure your rig doesn't have any fuel leaks.
Finished the latch, the air control, put it on a cinder block, and fired it up.
You can see embers if you look

Even with a 4' pipe stuck on it, it had enough draft.

After burning off the oil
- I enlarged the air intake holes as they weren't even close to large enough
- Wire wheeled the slag as best as possible and blacked the entire stove

Impressions on the design
- The stove isn't heavy enough
- 14 gauge isn't thick enough for the wall/ I can see it's already warped.
- It's likely a bit large for a van (8x8x15)

I still need to:
- Make legs
- Install wire spring handles
- Make some sort of chimney damper
- Weld the elbow and make a bulkhead for the window when elbow comes in
- Install some type of flapper above the opening so smoke doesn't come out when door's opened

Since this thread is about this stove, I think I'll put my overall thoughts in Gary's thread.
Don't forget air intake into the van. Maybe a marine deck plate installed in the floor with some screening attached to the bottom? Or, remember to roll down the windows a bit.