Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diagnosing the random stall
May I suggest getting in the habit of driving around with a half full tank?
Since I replaced this existing fuel pump on the side of the road some 12 years ago in Baja, it has stalled on hard turns and/ or hard braking with this much fuel in the tank. I expect this, I've had 12 years to learn to expect it and 12 years to learn to live with it.

The surprise stalls that initiated this thread happened without any hard braking or turning occurring, but the same general level of gas in the tank, perhaps a bit more.

It is a 35 gallon tank. If I were to fill it to overflowing, as i did many times last year about this time on my eclipse roadtrip, it never takes more than 30 gallons from this fuel level according to the gauge. I therefore believe the 1/8 tank indicator is about correct with 5 to 6 gallons left in it.

So I know that I did not install the pump as deeply on the module as i could have. I am not going to drop the tank just to rectify that. Those last 5 or 6 gallons in the bottom will be unreliably accessible, until I do drop the tank. So be it.

Obviously, driving around with more fuel in the tank will keep it away from the level at which it stalls when braking and turning. The Obvious is not lost on me.

The surprise stalls that occurred when no braking or turning was happening, are my concern, and they may or may not be related to the fuel pump not being inserted as deeply as it should have been on the fuel pump module.

The surprise stalls might have been rectified with the relocated fuel pump ground and or respliced wiring from the relay. There have been no surprise stalls since the original incident.

Yesterday's stall was no surprise. It has happened before in the same spot with the same general fuel level. The only surprise was how much engine cranking was required to rebuild fuel pressure and allow me to continue on.

Several years ago I decided to remove as much unneeded weight from my van as I could. Most of my driving is local, up and steep hills with lots of traffic lights. The weight removed was not nearly as much as I would like, perhaps 40 Lbs worth.

A gallon of e10 gasohol weighs 6.073 Lbs
35 x 6.073 = 212.555 Lbs

So while some might want to argue about whether this weight of e10 gas is consequential or not, I am not concerned with such opinions, and do not care to read them.
I am going to continue putting 20 to 30 $ in my tank when required. Longer road trips or when I see something in the news that is obviously going to spike fuel prices, is when I will go fill it up, and hopefully can make that tankful last as long as possible.

I've no idea if my existing fuel pump is a gear type or turbine type. An external pump, might or might not be able to pull fuel through the gear type.
and hope the surprise stall doesnt happen when your merging into heavy traffic?
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc stickers
yarc stickers pirate edition
(08-28-2018, 10:50 PM)sternwake Wrote: I ran the tank to just below the 1/8th hashmark about where it stalled the last time, and went down a long hill with a long  left turn, and  it stalled.
Why on earth are you letting your fuel tank get so low?  Unless you're checking the accuracy of your fuel gauge, that's a very poor practice.  I rarely let mine go much lower than 1/2 tank.  That's 300 miles for me, with a 35 gallon tank.  The added benefit is that if you get some bad gas, the effect is much less when mixed with half a tank of good stuff.
Sharing REAL life experiences and knowledge.

1977 Dodge Maxi-Van Smile
Yesterday's stall was a data point, albeit not a very helpful one.

I've spent Zero dollars on this issue, and will not, until I know what the issue is.

My intent in starting this thread was posting the process by which I came to a conclusion about the cause of the random surprise stall, as opposed to a "help me figure this out".

My original hypothesis was the pump was getting weak and the additional time and mileage with low fuel levels would reveal it continuing to get weaker and stalling more often. if the pump is weak and a half full tank keeps the weak pump cooler so that it never stalls again, I then learn Nothing, and blissfully head for full inconveninet failure at the time of Murphy's choosing.

So I was intentionally continuing to stress the fuel pump by letting the tank run to lower fuel levels, If it failed completely or simply stalled more regularly with less fuel in the tank, it would be obvious the fuel pump is not just a suspected culprit but a very likely one, and I could then proceed with replacement.

So this thread can, at this point, disappear.

I was trying to be helpful to others, not to be offered the obvious solution, as if it were not also obvious to me, or philosophical ramblings on how others choose to view their own gas tank levels.
You are always helpful to others Sternwake. Thanks for everything
monkeyfoot
so on this era of dodge the fuel pump assembly is not a direct fit,you have to adjust the pickup point?
yarc stickers
LoL, Gary. I interpret his post as saying he was done with us on this matter.
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
he still has a van that stalls around a 1/4 tank and i want to know why,curiosity-cat

pretty sure he's due for a interweb break,he'll get back
yarc stickers
(08-29-2018, 05:03 PM)sternwake Wrote: So this thread can, at this point,  disappear.

I was trying to be helpful to others, not to be offered the obvious solution, as if it were not also obvious to me, or philosophical ramblings on how others choose to view their own gas tank levels.

No the thread should stay, along with correct solutions.

A) Never run your fuel tank low enough to suck air, or suck sediment out of the bottom of your tank.

B) If you have a stock fuel pump of any type, it is wise to carry a stand alone electric fuel pump for emergencies.  Many fulltimers have such a pump already permanently mounted, and ready to swap in at a moments notice.

A $30 electric fuel pump is cheap insurance against fuel pump failure, especially for in tank fuel pumps.

Mechanical components will frequently give you fair warning before complete failure, electrical components, not so much.

Failure to prepare, is preparing for failure...
Sharing REAL life experiences and knowledge.

1977 Dodge Maxi-Van Smile