Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prices on Solar going up due to Tariffs
There is a expected up to 30-50% increase in prices on Solar Panels due to the tariffs on or by other countries. If you have the funds and plan to buy some in the near future I suggest buying asap. This is not open for political discussion about tariffs. Only about prices going up and hoping someone can save some money.    David
#NomadLivesMatter  
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to American Nomad Patriot for this post:
  • Texjbird (07-12-2018)
Hmmm

And today I was seeing 280 watt polys for $140. Buying from craigslist and KSL sure makes a difference.

It was suppose to happen last year

It was suppose to happen the year I bought my panels for the roof of the trailer, even controller prices were suppose to go up. The controllers I was using at the time are $30 less expensive now than they were then.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • MN C Van (07-13-2018), frater secessus (07-13-2018)
All kinds of things were supposed to happen
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (07-13-2018)
I bought a 180w mono from Solar Blvd three weeks ago. Price dropped from $190 to $120 so I jumped on it. Also a 20a Tracer mppt controller for $85 off of eBay. Also seeing 100w panels for less than $100 at Home Depot, so I'm not seeing price hikes yet. Doesn't mean they aren't going up but it seems slow to happening.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Just my $.02 or $.0156 Canadian
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mudbunny for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (07-13-2018)
I just picked up a Renogy 150 W Mono from a fellow nomad YT Howie Roll. It's brand new. He did a build on someone's rig and it didn't fit. I'm getting it plus "Y"connector and some other misc. parts for $100. I went ahead and ordered another 150 w mono on Amazoo.  That will give me 300 watts for "Podunk" (My bus). I already have on Renogy Controller that I bought awhile back during a fire sale they had. It's not the Mppt but will work for starters. I'll end up upgrading and donating it to another nomad when I do.  Yall just keep an eye on the prices if you're looking to buy. Thank you everyone !   David
#NomadLivesMatter  
That was a great score on the first 150 watt panel!  I’ve been poking around on Amazon, checking prices as I usually do (but don’t buy) and haven’t really noticed much of any panel price increases.

What I’d like to see is some more info from the solar knowlege base folks here as to using the larger and higher voltage 36-48V house panels on a vehicle as opposed to multiple paralleled 100 watters.

Not that my current or even future vehicle configurations could use one, but those with buses or ext cargo vans could.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
I read where they're going 1500 volts

Random 1500v Panel
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
vacuums tend to get filled
And these price increases still haven't happened- Not like Jim's prices, but less than a few months ago
Mono  300w is now close to what I paid for one 150w

https://www.renogy.com/on-sale/
I helped a customer pick up 300 watt panels in Denver for $190. In Austin I found 340 watt panels at the same price for another customer. I even found 4 400 watt panels but I never asked the price. (The customer wanted 8 panels and will end up with 2720 watts on twin set ups.) Another place in Austin has 295 watt panels at the above mentioned price. All found on craigslist with little effort.

I will say that the selection has certainly become limited.