Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is better?
One 20a charge controller with two 50 watt panels and two 30 watt panels

or

One 20a charge controller with two 50 watt panels

and

One 10a charge controller with two 30 watt panels
I think this is gonna start a PWM vs MPPT discussion regarding mixing different wattage panels together. I thought I read somewhere that one does fine and the other does not like it. I could be mistaken of course... and often am.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
Both controllers are PWM, I am not going to upgrade to an MPPT.

Both controllers are fed separately with 40A fuses into a single group 24 rv/marine.
If the panels are all 36 cells and are all either poly or monocrystaline, then paralleling isn't bad.  

Two 50 watt panels should give 5 amps, 6 or 7 with a cloud edge.  When dealing with the cheapest of PWM I would think a 10 amp might be iffy and I'd go for 20.  

Two 50s and two 30s would make me nervous all on one 10 amp cheap PWM.  I'd go for a 20.  The first option gets my vote.  Remember, my free advice is well worth what you paid for it.
Say good night, Dick.
i like #2 because if there is shade on one system the other is not affected
(05-20-2018, 09:20 AM)Gary Wrote: i like #2 because if there is shade on one system the other is not affected

That is an issue for sure plugging in my ground mounts with one 50 watt roof mount did not help my cause.

I need to make a new larger wooden electrical panel to accommodate a 2nd solar controller.
I would think either one would work fine.I have saw people advise not to mix panels,but some of my panels are mixed poly and mono and i can't see any difference from the segregated panels.I have 4 100 watt panels per 30 amp mppt controller.When I was drawing a lot of current the other day,some of my panel groups were putting out over 23 amps.