Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with '02 7.3 diesel
Brad....One thing I just thought of that would be cheap and easy to do. Get two large heavy duty strong magnets and place them on the bottom of your fuel tank. That rust is iron and the magnets will attract it to them and be strong enough to keep them away from your pick up tube/line. Heck...as big as your tank is I'd suggest more than two. They are only about $3 bucks each at Harbor Freight. Or go find some old sub woofer speakers and remove the magnets off them for free.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to American Nomad Patriot for this post:
  • BradKW (05-22-2018)
Or remove the magnets from old hard drives.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to BCGuy for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-19-2018), BradKW (05-22-2018)
Did that box truck spend most of its pre BKW life, in Key West? No salt laden humidity there.

The issue is likely to again crop up at some point, but at least you will know what it is.

I wonder if fuel pump can be raised a bit in the tank leaving some diesel unreachable but the filter sock out of the detritus.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-19-2018), BradKW (05-22-2018)
(05-19-2018, 11:35 AM)sternwake Wrote: I wonder if fuel pump can be raised a bit in the tank leaving some diesel unreachable but the filter sock out of the detritus.

This is exactly how it works on OTR Class 8 truck-tractors:

The pickup is elevated a few inches off the bottom of the aluminum tank, so that the heavy junk that settles can never reach the intake screen. 

These cylindrical tanks have two ratings: Total Capacity, and Total Usable Capacity.

A tank might be rated 150 gallons capacity, but rated at 120 gallons usable. There are usually two tanks on a Class 8 truck-tractor.

When figuring range, we go by the usable capacity. But when figuring the weight of the fuel, we go by the total capacity.
Wondering about Wandering.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tx2sturgis
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-20-2018)
You are going to need a new tank.
Or spend alot of time and $ fixing that one. Rust scale (ferrous Oxide) is extremely hard, attempting to abrade it clean just won't work.
There's the really EZ and cheap electrode/cathode submerged in baking soda water, but I'm not sure how that works when the rust is inside an object.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
Here is a money first, savings later idea.

These big trucks have pretty small tanks. If weight is not an issue buy a Titan or other company replacement tank. They are made out of crosslinked polymer plastics and very strong. Swap it out for the rusty tank and problem is solved. Yes, they are expensive but so is a tow out of the bush when you are miles from someplace normal. Second, you have a much greater range now so you can use an app like gasbuddy to fill up at the cheaper places. You save a little that way. Yes, I know you have to haul it around so the savings will be minimal unless you do a lot of California to Arizona routes but The main thrust is never leaving an issue that can leave you stranded without a paddle.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
My opinion ain't worth much,but I agree with Scott.
Thanks for the input!
That magnet idea sounds interesting.
The fuel pump actually isn't inside the tank on a diesel, it's up on the engine. But that said, the rust that plugged the filters is so fine that I'm sure it's suspended while driving. I'm really leaning towards removing the tank filters and installing an inline filter in an easy to inspect and access location...got this idea from the forum linked earlier. Sure sounds like a winning plan, I'm just not sure how to make sure I get a filter that a) does the job, and b) sized right so not to restrict normal flow. I've never shopped filters yet..

The tank is 55gal, so I'm not sure I'd want anything larger than that, not to mention having to fab custom mounts and hangers. But the poly tanks would be great...just very pricey as you said...
I happened to run across this website in a search for used fuel tanks:

http://www.fptts.com/Fuel%20Tanks%20used.htm
Wondering about Wandering.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tx2sturgis
The ancient farm stuff is fine until it's not, then it's a recurring problem.
Big difference, though, between an Allis Chalmers stops in the field and needs the bowl emptied
and a diesel in the middle of nowhere with precision injector pump.

Here's the trick way to remove rust- Submerging is cheap, EZ and effective as you get- we use it frequently on our old junk- Just need a pickle bucket and trickle charger- anyone can use this method about anywhere.

I've never tried it inside something, though:

Google Results: Electrolysis removing rust inside tank
Sometimes dweller in 232k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge but not much else