Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with '02 7.3 diesel
(05-16-2018, 09:50 AM)Motrukdriver Wrote:  Turns out someone had put a plastic sandwich bag in his fuel tank...

I wonder what happened to the 'product' that was in that bag....

'Hey Joe, this clogged fuel filter sure smells like skunk!'

Tongue
(05-16-2018, 10:47 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote: I wonder what happened to the 'product' that was in that bag....

'Hey Joe, this clogged fuel filter sure smells like skunk!'

Tongue

And now we know where the expression "It runs like crap" comes from.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
(05-16-2018, 09:10 AM)American Nomad Patriot Wrote: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7...boost.html
I also highly recommend using some cleaner in your tank(s) called Diesel Kleen.  This was recommended to me by a fellow travceller that was retired from the Ford Motor Company research and development department. So I'll take his word as golden.

That thread seems to nail it... dropped the tank and the filters were clogged with rust. I'll attach a few pics, would go into more detail but the shadetree mechanic I found in Winston Salem is having a hell of a time getting my lines hooked back up and tank back on, and its 8pm. Good I have my house with me I guess. But I feel very hopeful that this was the cause...will see sometime soon. I hope  Wink

[Image: 41258606095_de042bb702_b.jpg]

[Image: 40352665810_4a9b3fd12e_b.jpg]

[Image: 41438974454_c60de8e1f5_b.jpg]
Glad you figured it out....When I read your description, it sure did sound like a fuel delivery problem.
If tank is rusty, you are going to have to keep that from recurring, not to be master of obv ...
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-17-2018), BradKW (05-17-2018)
(05-17-2018, 08:46 AM)MN C Van Wrote: If tank is rusty, you are going to have to keep that from recurring, not to be master of obv ...

Wow..I didn't know the tank was on a box truck. I didn't read the whole thread. I missed that somewhere i guess. By the looks of the tank I could have mentioned rust. Now the biggest thing is to clean the inside of the tank. Best way I knew to do it was to fill with about a couple pounds of sand and gravel and then fill with water while it's off the truck. Then put in the back of a truck and haul it around while the stuff inside removes the rust. But that may not be an option here. ATM ...if possible add an additional fuel filter inline so to insure you don't get any to the injectors.
Of course after its was cleaned you wash out all the sand etc. Then let dry. Then rinse the tank with diesel before re-install and filling.
#NomadLivesMatter  
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to American Nomad Patriot for this post:
  • BradKW (05-17-2018)
(05-17-2018, 10:11 AM)American Nomad Patriot Wrote: Best way I knew to do it was to fill with about a  couple pounds of sand and gravel and then fill with water while it's off the truck. 

With rusty motorcycle gas tanks, steel gas cans, and old steel generator gas tanks, I remove the tank, plug the outlets, pour in a pound of random screws, nuts, and bolts. Then add a half gallon or so of CLR cleaner. 

Shake vigorously for a little while, (its VERY noisy!) then let it sit, soaking, for a while in warm sunny weather, on each side, shaking in between resting periods. 

This takes a day or two.

Then empty all the crap out, rinse thoroughly with soap and water. Invert, and let dry a couple of days.

Another step that I use sometimes is Kreme, gas tank sealer. 

Admittedly, this is a lot of work, and the large tank on this truck would probably not be a candidate, but maybe a pressure washer using CLR and an angled nozzle would work.

Or, maybe a new aluminum fuel tank!

($$$)

Cool
I was actually just considering if I should get a new tank and hopped on here to ask what the options might be...the new ones ain't cheap it seems, so figuring out how I can recondition this one could be worthwhile.

At the very least, I should drop it again and remove the filters, adding an inline filter somewhere easy to access...unfortunately the situation just didn't work out to do it now.

But I drove 4 hours to DC today without a hiccup, so I'm calling it fixed. Not to say that random bumpy pavement won;t still cause panic attacks for awhile to come tho... Wink
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to BradKW for this post:
  • tx2sturgis (05-17-2018), American Nomad Patriot (05-18-2018)
cant remove those in tank filters or the junk will get in to your fuel pump,there are kits with cleaning solvent and coating

just an example,there are many https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealer...tions.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-18-2018)
If you can find another used tank that still requires cleaning you could get it. Use the sand, gravel, water way I mentioned. Haul the extra tank around for about a week. Then dump, clean,dry it. You could then change out the tanks. And even afterwards clean the original tank and eventually mount it under your rig as an auxiliary tank. You have the suspension and room under the truck most likely. Just another option.
#NomadLivesMatter