Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superior Nat'l Forest
I know what you're thinking; C-van, you knucklehead, why would anyone go to the frigid plains of MN and boondock?
I think you should be banned and beaten for even thinking of suggesting just visiting MN.

Well, the North Shore is beautiful, with rivers flowing through dense, green forests ending in waterfalls crashing through rock to the breathtaking Lake Superior.
Because of this, People come from all over for the world class hiking of the Superior Hiking Trail

And there's good fishing, too. Land of 10,00 lakes!

In winter? You van's oil will turn to molasses and it and you won't thaw out 'til May, even after your daily ski and snowshoe to town for some Lutefisk.

Here's NFS publication on the free Rustic Campgrounds
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Everyroadleadshome (05-10-2018), Queen (05-10-2018), Kaylee (05-11-2018)
Free food in the summer is another reason to love the north shore.
Just stick your arm out in front of you, hold still for 5 seconds and start nibbling the mosquitoes and black fly's off just like corn off the cobWink
Winter you can surf the wind storms on Lake Superior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qg4gKXbBss

LOL It Really is beautiful country all year round, just need deet in the summer and warm place at night in the winter.
The Boundry Waters Canoe Area is great place to get away from everything
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/superior/...eprd555184

p.s. MN C Van do you know of anyone who's full timing in a rig in MN or Canada? Would love to see how they set it up.  I know some people who set up a van for a month of skiing but not sure if anyone has gotten one for living full time comfortably for weeks of less than 20 degrees.

Thanks.
Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MNPaul for this post:
  • MN C Van (05-11-2018)
Don't forget the state bird of Minnesota... the mosquito. Oh, and all the lutefisk you can digest. There was a time in the distant past when I was up in MN quite a bit. Ran out of Eagan for 3 years and then Coon Rapids for another year. Went over to Fergus Falls quite a bit. There is a candy/snack food maker over that way that I hauled from. Really quite beautiful over on that side. Many times I had to deliver up in Superior WI and then roll down I-35 to the cities and it really is a beautiful state when the ice and snow is gone. Never got up to the State Forests but I can only imagine the scenery.
Traveling.  It leaves you speechless and then turns you into a storyteller.

Thanks MN C Van!

My lease is up on May 16th, but I have to stay in the general area (western WI) for a couple of weeks, waiting for some DMV idiocracy and other admin crud.
I was going to ask for suggestions for boondocking places in the North Shore thru UP areas. Smile
Please share more places, at your leisure. Smile

I'm ok with cold, but heat & bugs, not-so-much.

When I was in the Reserves, in my 20s, I spent almost a year (including an entire winter) training & flying the North Shore. Loved it. Smile
First day on the flight line, the head instructor said the dress code was fairly loose, but if any instructor felt we were inadequately dressed, he could order us to stand outside for a half hour.
Best Dress Code evah! Smile
me: newbie, unexpected 2-week lead time for summer car boondocking, lots of dumb Qs

"We are in a car." K9 to Mickey, "School Reunion", Doctor Who
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly
Sure. I'd use the Nat'l Forest brochure linked in OP.
Right now I'm at Oxbow.

47.6405036, -90.8471435

Not ideal, but hiking spots are nearby, as is Tofte (no cell)

Bugs are all frozen still!!!!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Kaylee (05-11-2018)
I did see a guy in Flagstff that built his own truck camper.
He said it was heavily insulated for Canada, eh?

I don't think there's any other way. Any commercial type is going to suck propane like- like something that sucks a lot of propane.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • MNPaul (05-12-2018)
(05-11-2018, 11:38 AM)MN C Van Wrote: Sure. I'd use the Nat'l Forest brochure linked in OP.
Right now I'm at Oxbow.
Thanks!
I don't do PDFs. Is there a regular site or an overview page?

MN C Van Wrote:Bugs are all frozen still!!!!
The only good kind of bug! Wink

When do they usually get bad? It's been a loooooong time since I was boots-on-the-ground in that region, and I forget when the bad times are.
me: newbie, unexpected 2-week lead time for summer car boondocking, lots of dumb Qs

"We are in a car." K9 to Mickey, "School Reunion", Doctor Who
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly
The Tofte Ranger station has hard copies. Maps and freecampsites has some.
Bugs not bad now, but id get screening and magnets!
Eagle Mountain is about an hour from your location MNCvan, have you hiked it yet?
Pretty trial up to MN's highest point.  I hiked it around this time a couple years ago and had little pools of water spilling down the rocks from previous rain.
Go back b4 the glaciers and it might have been taller than the rockies, but old age shrinks us all.

http://www.bwca.cc/activities/hiking/eaglemountain.html
Yes, Eagle Mt. is close.
Not my fav hike.
The rivers and 'mountains' that have lake views beat it out!
Saw first mosquito while relaxing on one, today.