Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you reading?
(05-20-2018, 04:38 AM)Queen Wrote: Gary, LOL!

Just picked up a compendium for the Outlander series, gives background info the author either left out or felt added an explanation to many storylines... in a continuing nine book series where each book is over 1200 pages.   Tongue

I shared many a dinner and drink with Diana over the years as she liked coming to the Surrey Writers Conference before she got famous and so I would be the friendly face in NYC and London when we attended author things. We always got together for a drink and some fun. She is a laugh and a real person to the core. I don't read her stuff as blouse pulling time-travel stuff is not for me. But she is a genuine and awesome human being who never let fame go to her head and make her forget who and why she writes!! Top shelf Lady all the way.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
Very cool, Scott. In her interviews she comes across as very genuine, and she writes stories with very strong and capable women in them, I think I'd enjoy chatting with her.
(05-22-2018, 06:08 AM)Queen Wrote: Very cool, Scott.  In her interviews she comes across as very genuine, and she writes stories with very strong and capable women in them, I think I'd enjoy chatting with her.

In my experience, all women are strong and capable. It is only the ones that believe the propaganda directed at them or get lazy and hide behind some sort of victim status card that are not. Those that disagree should:
A. Have a baby. 
B. Raise said baby to adulthood with all the associated drama.
C. Refrain from killing stupid people who act/believe it is their duty to do so, will little to no support and postponed thanks.
D. Suck up all the bullshit and crap, overcome the biases and still turn out remotely "normal."
E. Be able to embrace the idea of No Bad Days and not just post it to your Facebook account. 

Yes, boys, I get there are one-offs that do all this without the birthing bit. But, they are the exception and not the rule. 

While I also understand women don't need to have children to be strong and powerful it is just the hardest thing I can imagine doing. Second, thinking this Not having children in our society may even make it more difficult to be "SEEN" as strong and powerful. That would be covered by the D. part of the above.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
Halfway through "Thirteen Moons" by Charles Frazier, it's a story set on the frontier in the early 1800's. For all the beautiful language he uses the story just bogs down. It's really just another coming of age story that gets stuck in trying to figure out first love. I'd say it's a disappointing read.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Queen for this post:
  • MN C Van (06-03-2018)
I hate poetry.

Somehow I got a book of German poetry, and since have memorized one or two of Brecht's, and read from the many other poets at least weekly.

I guess Germans have (had?) many a good reason to be genuinely emotive.
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
(05-23-2018, 12:49 AM)Scott7022 Wrote: In my experience, all women are strong and capable. It is only the ones that believe the propaganda directed at them or get lazy and hide behind some sort of victim status card that are not. Those that disagree should:
A. Have a baby. 
B. Raise said baby to adulthood with all the associated drama.

My Mom said raising three kids was the easiest thing she's ever done.  But she had 3  very independent boys who left the house at sunrise and didn't return to sunset,  ahh the good old days.
Since I knew I'd be driving a bunch, and still have a valid Library card, about a month ago I picked up a few books-on-CD.

Just finished:
Catalyst : a tale of the Barque cats by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough

IMO, it wasn't as good as McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern" series, but was enjoyable mainly from the POV of a critter person and semi-cat-person. Smile
Definitely a decent, not too demanding, listening-while-driving book.
found a Geeky blue van (solving logistics), tentative progress on a GoodJob, still lots of Newbie Qs

"We are in a car." K9 to Mickey, "School Reunion", Doctor Who
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly
Heinriech Böll Short stories- exceptional writing skills, even translated it's brilliance comes across.
Started writing about the war,  later The Catholic Church, then he advocated for Due Process for even the most despicable of criminals.
Because of media backlash over that, he wrote The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum to expose the animals of the yellow media.  
Wrong guy for them to take on.

And he got a Nobel prize, i see.
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
The next time any of you are near Los Angeles stop in and get a library card. You can check out audiobooks online and via email. These are current novels. You select which titles you want, you get an email when one is available, and you download it to listen. All free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blanch for this post:
  • MN C Van (09-04-2018)
^^ Same with our county library! Pretty awesome, eh?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Blanch (09-04-2018)