Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaylee about to emulate a Wood Duckling :)
(08-28-2018, 06:17 AM)Cammalu Wrote: I actually like the cowbirds but I also liked the tiny bird that built the cute nest on the edge of my field... I had never seen that bird before so out went the cowbird eggs. I have plenty of cowbirds.
What did the "tiny bird" look like?
I'm not an expert, but have ID books and passion, so would be happy to try to help you (in particular!) ID 'em. Smile

"MN C Van": I'm pretty sure it is legal to remove cowbird eggs. They're not endangered, or in any way threatened. There's considerable discussion among birders about how much damage they do to genuinely threatened species.
It could be a local law wherever you were.
I'm glad you're on the side of the victim species. Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
I'm learning lots about birds (my next learning project!).
After reading this article about cowbirds,
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/12/t...-criminals
not sure I like them...
Yes, I'm sure you're correct- MN law

Quote:Subd. 52. Unprotected birds.

"Unprotected birds" means English sparrow, blackbird, starling, magpie, cormorant, common pigeon, chukar partridge, quail other than bobwhite quail, and mute swan.

Subd. 53. Unprotected wild animals.

"Unprotected wild animals" means wild animals that are not protected wild animals including weasel, coyote (brush wolf), gopher, porcupine, striped skunk, and unprotected birds.

Glad to see I didn't appear on the 'Unprotected Animal' list!
Even after we check Fed, State, County, City, and US treaties, we'll probably get tripped up on a 'special district' law and end up in the same cell. We'll need to form a prison gang. 'Cowbird Peace Stones' sound good?

I get the top bunk, though.
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Kaylee (11-02-2018)
"... Because cowbirds are native to the U.S., they are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and in most instances it is unlawful to use lethal control without a permit, including the removal of their eggs from a nest. ..."
https://nestwatch.org/learn/general-bird...-cowbirds/
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Xanthorhizas for this post:
  • Kaylee (11-02-2018)
Kaylee I looked it up. It’s was a

[Image: edfdc760b43ceae03043e8ebe9036b80.png]

Very cute little bird
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • MN C Van (08-30-2018), Kaylee (11-02-2018), Xanthorhizas (11-02-2018)
Thanks "MN C Van" and "Xanthorhizas" for your research!
I somehow missed your posts, and Cammalu's shiny vireo ID. Smile

(08-29-2018, 07:06 AM)MN C Van Wrote: I get the top bunk, though.

Ok by me. Smile
Last time I was in bunk beds, was in the Reserves' youth-brainwashing summer camp, and the barracks' rafters were full of spiders, who would regularly drop down onto the top bunk.

Quick Life Update:
For the last 4~ weeks I've been spending the weekdays at my favorite Indie motel, then leaving for the weekend (when it's packed with Noisy tourists).
It's been a lot more disruptive than I was expecting, and there have been some irregular bursts of particularly bad noise and other sensory overloads.

If I go silent for several days, I'm ok, just still in Major Chaos Mode. Grrr!Argh!
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • GypsyDogs (11-02-2018), Xanthorhizas (11-06-2018)
Kaylee, weren’t you looking for a job a while ago? When we were in CO Springs a few months ago my sis was looking to hire 14 engineers.
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • Kaylee (11-06-2018)
Thanks Cammalu!
The two big issues are my volunteer work, which consumes most of my functional time so I'm restricted to part-time or contract work, and the whole housing Hell thingie, which I'm aiming to fix by becoming a van dweller. Smile

That crazy must/mold/etc rental really zonked out my brain, so I've put job stuff on hold until I've done a thorough detox.

P.S. Clarification re cowbirds:
"MN C Van" and "Xanthorhizas" were right, I was wrong! Smile
I'm aware of some research projects involving removing cowbird eggs, but those were with gov permission. As X said, the Migratory Bird Act is the law of the land... but most birders I've known have been vehemently anti-cowbird.

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
(11-05-2018, 11:47 PM)Kaylee Wrote: "... but most birders I've known have been vehemently anti-cowbird."

That would most likely be me too!

I'd been meaning to thank you for posting as I'd been wondering how you were doing.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Xanthorhizas for this post:
  • Kaylee (11-13-2018)
Quick Update:
I'm packing up to vacate the motel (deer hunting season, they're completely booked for all next week).
Had already scheduled something for early next week, after which I'll be...

driving to Oregon!!! Smile

So, will have intermittent internet access for the next two weeks.

Should be back around the end of the month, and will then be a bona fide Van Owner. Smile
This weekend, will try to start a thread asking for driving route recommendations. Smile

My head's still spinning, cuz I still have some logistical hurdles to nail down. Grrr!Argh!

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • Cammalu (11-15-2018), GypsyDogs (11-15-2018), Xanthorhizas (11-16-2018)