Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tales from a Ventilation Nazi
Having dogs, I feel your 'pain' with hair/debris

Friend gave us a food dryer.. and I wanted to filter the incoming air.. turns out, cheapo dollar store green scrubby pads make handy (and if necessary disposable) multi purpose filters. Smile
My body is a temple- Ancient and crumbling,  
probably cursed 

[Image: AIDog_Line_Sm_Teal_GD.png]
I am the Ear-Wormer with a Stinkin' Badge 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GypsyDogs for this post:
  • Scott7022 (04-12-2018)
Despite the true furball nature of a sheepdog, Fiona does not really shed all that much hair, just grows it fast.

She is in need of a clipping, but my clippers committed suicide that last time I clipped her in December.

Noctua wants a screenshot of my order, the lot number, and my address to send me a replacement fan.

I had not thought of the green scrubbies as a filter. I've just been vaccuuming the exterior of my carbon filter once I notice the sides sucking in at higher speeds. That takes about 12 to 14 days.

I do not know how much air a de humidifier pulls in, but consider increasing the surface area of your filter to reduce restriction.
Noctua says to expect the  replacement fan delivery  in 5 to 8 working days, and that if my other industrial  fan, which also spins up backwards on powerup, sometimes, keeps doing it, they would like to inspect it. They said I do nto need to return the failed fan, or what remains of it.

[Image: 20180411_210114_richtonehdr.jpg]

Here is what appears, to me, to be the overheated microprocessor that lost its ability to contain the magic smoke:

[Image: 20180411_210337_richtonehdr.jpg]

I have to give credit to a company that did not just deny any warranty coverage because I did not send them the failed fan. If I did sent it to them they would have seen I opened hte wiring loom to put a switch inline, and could have denied any warranty on that alone. I pretty much had to nip away at the center hub with side cut nippers just to see the CB, and I figured why not take pics and Email Noctua with them.

I am fairly confident that the processor overheated and failed, not sure the pics can relate that to their engineers, but it is nice that at lease some 'protocol' can be sidestepped to save time and effort on both ends.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • rvpopeye (04-13-2018)
Here comes dumb question number 1:

Why does a little fan need a microprocessor? Does the fan do fancy things?
(04-14-2018, 01:27 PM)S Cello Wrote: Here comes dumb question number 1:

Why does a little fan need a microprocessor?  Does the fan do fancy things?

microprocessor in controller provides pulses which drives the servo motor to turn the fan, also controls the speed. If temp controlled like in the Fantastic Fan, the circuit is microprocessor controlled via a thermostat sensor to control the fan's on or off. 
Old style fan motors were simple motors with voltage dividers to control the voltage hence the High Low Off speed switches, usually a rotary potentiometer. Some inexpensive plastic clip on fans have a slide position resistive switch to give different voltages for speed control. 
In a nutshell.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CosmicVanna for this post:
  • S Cello (04-14-2018)
The New Fan arrived today From Austria. I installed it with no switch, other than the Noctua speed controller. Both fans on or off, unless i disconnect The connector, or pull the fuse I installed in place of the failed switch on the older Noctua.

The Older fan I had used in its place for the last week, draws more than both NOctua's on highest speed and moves less air than one of them.

I measured the Noctua's amp draw at the very slowest possible speed. 0.02 amps, but I believe it is closer to 0.0017. They barely move any air at whatever rpm they spin at with the dial all the way down.