Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tracking device
after the second time my drunk ass dad wrecked one of my cars i started sabotaging them,pull the fuse,distributor wire,add a toggle to the ignition etc,
OK, couple of things . . .

The original poster, Weigh2ez, was asking about using it on a cargo or travel trailer, so that leaves out tricks like hidden switches to cut off electric fuel pumps and similar ideas.

My warning regarding jammers was simply to discourage any belief in "magic, silver bullets".  Nothing is foolproof.  I believe you need to have multiple security features.

(In point of fact, jammers are much more likely to be used by the kinds of pros who steal expensive German and Italian cars, classic vettes, and similar vehicles rather than by people who would steal a trailer.)

There are a number of trailer coupler locks out there.  Unfortunately. it's not hard to find YouTube videos showing all of them being easily defeated by sledgehammers or power saws with diamond blades.  Which people who DO steal trailers are probably likely to have.  These will also easily defeat chains through wheels, which is another common idea.

Far better, in my opinion, is to have a removable coupler on your trailer, like seen in this picture:

The thieves are unlikely to have their own coupler with them to hook up in place of the one you've taken with you.

Alternatively, you could set your rig up with a proprietary coupler set up like the Lock-n-Roll:

https://locknroll.com/

I've also noticed that all trailers have the wiring harness permanently attached to the trailer.  Consider putting a 7 pin connector on the trailer, too, and using a wire with plugs on each end when you hook up.  Take the wire with you when you go.

Finally, keep in mind that a cargo trailer is FAR more likely to be stolen than a travel trailer is. Cargo trailers often contain thousands of dollars worth of tools, or motorcycles or atvs.  Plus the trailer itself is easily sold for good money.  This attracts thieves.

A travel trailer is unlikely to contain anything more than some dishes and bedding, and is much harder to sell.
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
  • TWIH (05-31-2018)
The little tracker for 199 bucks would work well for his RV (cargo trailer) and I like your idea about the wiring harness. These, we agree, will not be sophisticated thieves. What about leaving the 7 pin connector in place and dead shorting it in a hidden way. When they plug into steal it pop goes the fuse and the lights or whatever is on the circuit? If it is Bubba wired it could be instant karma, the best kind. I like the locknroll idea too as not too many people have those and if they do they are usually attached to spiffy marv rigs unlikely to trade for a utility trailer. It also serves the purpose of being much nicer to pull when off payment.
A hitch lock is useless... now, they simply hook the safety chains together, throw them over their hitch ball and take off.
I like the 7 pin idea.  That is something I can do.  Thanks for all the ideas.
(04-30-2018, 10:05 AM)Riverman Wrote: A hitch lock is useless... now, they simply hook the safety chains together, throw them over their hitch ball and take off.

Thanks for reminding me about that.  You're absolutely right.

But then, there's no reason to have permanently mounted chains on the trailer.  Replace them with sturdy rings and use snaplinks on BOTH ends of the chains, which you take with you along with the wire.
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
all types of wheel locks out there https://www.etrailer.com/comparison.aspx?pc=WI490&pc2=WI491-491LNP
Take a wheel off and put it in the back of your tow vehicle.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
(04-30-2018, 11:14 AM)Motrukdriver Wrote: Take a wheel off and put it in the back of your tow vehicle.

Or let the air out of all the tires and take the valve cores with you.  A lot less work, and what are the odds the thieves will have valve cores and a compressor?  Or will be willing to risk spending the TIME needed to air up the tires?
Regards

John