Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, if I did get a cargo trailer...
Ok, my cramped quarters are leading me to think about a cargo trailer. I could get one, but the problem is, I have no more tools, at all. They got downsized out. 
 I would be looking at an extremely simple build. Reflectix wrapped around inside, one inch polyiso, then walls and floors. My signature cedar slat bed, and basic cabinetry. Basic carpentry skills all that is needed. Not too big of a trailer, say 6x10.

So, anybody got any suggestions on how to find someone to hire out to do this work? The good thing is I’ll be in the Las Vegas area soon, so I’ll be nearby the southwest region.
One Stinkin Badge!
I just bought one two weeks ago and I'd get the 6x12. If you could find a retired carpenter, that would be great.
Are you talking power tools? Or more craftsmen type tools?
Everyone has been talking about how incredible you are, I have to agree. You're pretty awesome! 
Yeah power tools are gone. I have real stripped down tool box I kept.
One Stinkin Badge!
If the logistics could be worked out, you could use mine. They're cordless, but I have 2 batteries and a charger that recharges 1 battery in about 30 min. We were planning on heading east into NM then Colorado, but I don't have to answer to anyone atm, so boondocking Nevada might be possible. What kind of time line you looking at if you decide on buying trailer?
Everyone has been talking about how incredible you are, I have to agree. You're pretty awesome! 
I'd be more than willing to give you a hand if you can find your way to Maine. Free spot to park and a garage full of tools that can build anything from a cabinet to a house.
(04-23-2018, 06:01 PM)Wabbit Wrote: If the logistics could be worked out, you could use mine. They're cordless, but I have 2 batteries and a charger that recharges 1 battery in about 30 min. We were planning on heading east into NM then Colorado, but I don't have to answer to anyone atm, so boondocking Nevada might be possible. What kind of time line you looking at if you decide on buying trailer?

I’m kinda thinking out loud right now. I look at the pluses, room! Then the minuses, backing it up! Boo hiss. 
I got to keep fine tuning and getting through this learning curve, then later on in summer really think about if I wanted to do it.
One Stinkin Badge!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to waldenbound for this post:
  • Wabbit (04-23-2018)
Backing up is hella easy once you find your groove. Pick a parking lot and play around backing into spaces. And just remember, hand on the bottom of the steering wheel/trailer swings in the direction you move your hand.
(04-23-2018, 05:34 PM)waldenbound Wrote: So, anybody got any suggestions on how to find someone to hire out to do this work? The good thing is I’ll be in the Las Vegas area soon, so I’ll be nearby the southwest region.

Well, here in NY, we have something called BOCES (acronym from Board Of Cooperative Educational Services).  This is essentially a trade school that teaches carpentry, plumbing, auto repair, autobody, welding, machine shop, culinary trades, hairdressing, etc.  Students from all the high schools in a county who choose to go the BOCES route spend half a day at their "home" school taking English, Social Studies, etc. and half a day at the BOCES learning carpentry or whatever.

If I needed to higher someone to do a trailer for me, I'd ask the instructor there if there were any kids they could recommend who were looking for some weekend work.

Not sure if other states like NV or AZ have similar programs, but if you could find a trade school program in one of them, that might be one way to go.
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool
You could buy a few cheap power tools from Harbor Freight and then pawn them when you are done...
Wondering about Wandering.