Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H.A.M radio on the road
I asked the mods to move these posts to this section for a better 'fit'.

Thanks for moving them.
I have a cb that was given to me, so I will definitely be using it! I am interested in ham radio but scared of the costs involved! Does one still need a license?
viajes seguros
(04-09-2018, 01:38 AM)AbuelaLoca Wrote: I have a cb that was given to me, so I will definitely be using it! I am interested in ham radio but scared of the costs involved! Does one still need a license?

I'm glad you asked! These days, ham radio is easy and cheap for a beginner to get involved in.

Like any hobby, you can spend a fortune if you want, but getting started in the hobby can be done for less than $100. Small affordable handheld radios can even be bought on Amazon and eBay for under $50.

And yes, in the USA the FCC requires you to take a simple test, to get your beginners ham license, called the 'Technician' license. It lets you operate mostly on VHF and UHF, and mostly local repeaters. There are sample tests available on the internet, as well as study guides and LOTS of videos to help you get there. 

BTW....lots of women are doing ham radio....it's not just an 'old nerdy guy' hobby....well....not as much as it was, anyway.  Tongue

Here is a great place to start, registration is free and this is a very good website for hams:

https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

A nerdy guy gives some basic advice for a newbie:

If you have more time and the bandwidth, here is a video with several YL's (female hams) on the tube!

(if bandwidth is a concern, be sure to hit the settings button and reduce the resolution, or skip some thru the broadcast) If possible, watch at least the first 40 minutes or so.

Now for a little more light hearted look with one of our famous Texas guys:

BTW....cellphones (and later on, smartphones) were invented using ham radio technology way back in the 80's...now you know!
I would also like to add that taking the test can be done almost everywhere, you need 3 licensed hams that are called VE's (volunteer examiners).

I think the exam cost is about $12...that covers the materials. These monthly exam sessions are in most larger and medium sized cities all over the USA. You can buy study guides online or there are free alternatives...I can help with that if you would like me to.

https://ssl.qrz.com/bookstore

The FCC license itself is free, once you pass the exam. It is good for 10 years and can be renewed (or upgraded after passing the more advanced tests anytime).

I should also add that you can actually use ham radio to some extent without buying a single radio...its called Echolink and I use it myself. It's ham radio via internet...like everything else these days, there is an app for that!

This will allow you to talk to other hams all over the USA and the world, for free! You DO need to have that FCC 'call sign' to use it...so if you are really interested, it's all very affordable.
This sounds interesting to me for a couple of reasons.

I’ve been out of cell range many times on the UTV. It might not be a problem to walk back for some but if I broke down or if something happened it would have been a long cold night in the desert.

Also, I’m still dreaming of my trip to Baja
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (04-09-2018)
I still have my Galaxy with a 250 watt linear. Had it set at Clays Radios. Too late in life to get back into it but always enjoyed how the real operators got out there.

But I could dead key some assholes into oblivion if they got tacky.

Rob
Once More Unto The Breach, Dear Friends, Once More.
(04-09-2018, 09:13 AM)Cammalu Wrote: This sounds interesting to me for a couple of reasons.

I’ve been out of cell range many times on the UTV. It might not be a problem to walk back for some but if I broke down or if something happened it would have been a long cold night in the desert.

Also, I’m still dreaming of my trip to Baja

At this time, it does not appear that a yanqui can use their ham radio in Mexico.

http://www.arrl.org/news/mexico-not-yet-...o-amateurs

http://thebajanet.com/Changes%20to%20Mex...nsing.html
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool
Thanks OP. That didn’t even occur to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyfoot
This first article is more than 30 years old....apparently the authorities in charge down there have forgotten how VITAL hams are when disaster strikes:

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-09-20/n..._ham-radio

Then we have a more recent deployment of hams in Mexico who help when they are needed:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ham-radio...co-anthony-

(cut and paste works, put the dash on the end....I dunno why the link is blocked)
The RF spectrum is extremely valuable. We've seen the insane prices the cell phone companies here spent buying more of it when our govt. auctioned off the spectrum they recovered by the switch to digital tv.

I'm sure the officials in Mexico expect to get a lot of money by converting the amateur bands to other uses.

And given how corrupt most Mexican officials are, they no doubt expect a bit of it to stick to their own fingers.
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool