Vandweller Forum
Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 - Printable Version

+- Vandweller Forum (https://vandwellerforum.com)
+-- Forum: Buy,Sell and Trade (https://vandwellerforum.com/forum-24.html)
+--- Forum: Member buy,sell and trade (https://vandwellerforum.com/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 (/thread-2878.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 - minddroool - 05-18-2019

I am looking at another van tomorrow. Guy says it needs a battery..... but, how will I know it isn't an alternator issue? Clues? ..... short in trust.....

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

on

RE: Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 - B and C - 05-18-2019

Does the van have a battery gauge in the instrument cluster or do you have a voltmeter? See what the volts of the battery is before and after starting. If the volts went up, the alternator is good.

RE: Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 - minddroool - 05-18-2019

(05-18-2019, 05:55 PM)B and C Wrote: Does the van have a battery gauge in the instrument cluster or do you have a voltmeter? See what the volts of the battery is before and after starting. If the volts went up, the alternator is good.
The guy said the battery will be dead and it will have to be jumped. Will the gauge read correctly? I am driving 2 hours to see it in the morning.

He also said the battery is bad and if the vehicle sits it won't start.

RE: Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 - B and C - 05-18-2019

Should be cheap if he doesn't want to show it running. You may want to haggle before you go to the trouble of starting it.

It may be just a bad battery from the description of if it sits overnight it won't start. If after running awhile and it starts after a short time, the battery is probably shot or could be bad connections (probably not connections). If it is a battery that has caps to pull off, check the water level. The top of the case will probably be covered in battery acid.

The gauge should read whatever voltage the battery is at. It all depends on what voltages your meter will read. Mine will read all the way down into the millivolts (<1 volt).

RE: Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 - Blacktank - 05-18-2019

a multimeter and you could tell,start it up and take a reading at the battery,13.8-14.8 and the alt is good,if it's a chevy g van the alts are cheap,could also be a parasitic draw somewhere

RE: Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 - minddroool - 05-18-2019

(05-18-2019, 06:25 PM)Blacktank Wrote: a multimeter and you could tell,start it up and take a reading at the battery,13.8-14.8 and the alt is good,if it's a chevy g van the alts are cheap,could also be a parasitic draw somewhere
Oooooooo. Parasitic draw? Scary thought. That would suck.

Any general opinions on older vehicles? Are they hard to find parts for?

RE: Battery or alternator? 1985 Chevy G30 - rvpopeye - 05-18-2019

Mine is an 81
Chevy G30 = lots of parts available and cheap too. Especially the 350 engine .
new and used
EX:
Last year I paid $30 for a new , using all american parts assembled in america .. not remanufactured water pump.

The van engine compartment is a CRAMPED place to do even a plug change like most vans (and newer vehicles) though.